Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Mr. Summers Says Thanks

It's early in the morning of May 27th. I'm still on China time, having safely returned yesterday evening. Four weeks ago I said goodbye. It was a very emotional time. I apologize for blundering my way through the final days, but I think back to what my Dad told me last week as my wife and I prepared to say goodbye to our son in China. "You could never say goodbye, if you hadn't said hello." I first said hello to SWOPS in 1985 as I introduced myself to Mr. Alan Stewart, the principal at the time, and chairman of the hiring committee for area five. I visited all the elementary and secondary schools in the county that spring, doing whatever I could to secure a job. My persistence paid off; I began teaching in Beeton in September of that year. I next said hello to Osler when we moved to the area in 1998 and our children attended this school. In 2001 I joined the staff. Even for someone like me who is not very comfortable in social situations, saying hello was easy. Saying goodbye was much more difficult. I want to thank all of you for the opportunity I had to be part of your lives. I hope in some small way I have been able to leave something positive behind. For all the wonderful expressions of best wishes including your cards, posters, letters, gifts, the assembly, your hugs, and so many other things, I offer my sincere thanks. I will always cherish the time I spent with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment